Sunday, April 8, 2007

Hoping to head off a problem

Well...I learn something new everyday about these delicate little seedlings. The peat pellets I started them in tend to dry out very easily. It is really a matter of not over watering and you definately don't want to under water them either. I had been keeping them quite moist at the tops. But they also dry out quite quickly from the bottoms! Which kills the tiny roots!

The seedlings also have not gotten to go outside in a couple of days due to the sudden freezing temps ( global warming is a sometime thing ;-) ) I really feel sorry for people who jumped the gun and put their plants in the ground because of the warmer temps just in the past 2 weeks. The only thing we left out in our tiny green house was the lettuces. They seem to love the cold/cooler temps and they are warmed just enough to be cozy. lol.

Well...I have lost thus far due to the dry, parched peat pellets:
1 cockscomb
most of the lavender ( I will plant some more!)
1 or 2 impatiens
and a couple of marigolds. If I have to by golly I will buy flats later at the home center! :-) got to keep a good attitude!
Okay....that is enough for now.

No comments: